Sunday, April 13, 2008

It's a SMALL world...

Having been in the Army for over four years, I have been a lot of places, and seen many different things. I have been exposed to things that I would have never been exposed to otherwise, and for the most part, everything has been new and unfamiliar. Utah is not a big military state, as far as military posts, people joining the active duty Army etc... don't get me wrong, I am not saying it is bad, there is a lot of military pride there, and the support for the troops is overwhelming, I just haven't met many people from Utah in my military experiences (outside of Utah of course). So, in the rare moments I meet people from Utah I like to find out what town they are from, and hopefully relate to them on some level. Having constantly been so far away from there, it is nice to go back, even if just in a conversation, so I would like to tell two specific stories about such experiences that not only made my day by finding a fellow 'Utahan' but gave me further testimony that our Heavenly Father truly watches over us and that this really is such a small world. The first story happened today...


I went to church today alone. Alan had to work, and it was my first time going without him so it was weird for me because every other time since I had started going back to church he has been with me. I had contemplated not going at all, but finally decided it was what I needed because I have been having a hard time with a few things in my life. I planned on sitting with a great couple that we usually sit with, and was sad when I saw that they were not there today. I ended up sitting next to the missionaries, and church went well. I knew I had made the right choice in going, and I felt at peace. During the final hour of church, there were a few visitors that introduced themselves. I was excited when one of the women said the lived in Richfield, Utah which is where my mother lives now, and since I grew up a short distance away, I felt like I should talk to her after church was over.


I soon learned that she was visiting her son, who was inactive in the church, to help him settle into his new home. When I told her my Mother lives in Richfield, she said "OH! You HAVE to meet my Husband, he knows EVERYBODY!" I didn't doubt that since Richfield is not a big place, and thought it would be awesome if he knew my Mom. I followed her around the church until we finally found her husband. He asked me who my Mom is, I told him, and he just gave me the largest hug and said, "you are HER daughter?" It turns out that he used to be the Bishop serving in the ward that my mom lives in. He knows her, and I could tell by the sincere way he spoke that he loved and cared for her as we should all love and care for each other. He even knew where she lives, and the vague references he made to specific circumstances that has happened in my family life made me feel so at ease and comfortable around this man that I had met five minutes before. I could feel the warmth radiating from his spirit, and I knew that God brought them there today to comfort my soul, when I had felt so alone and restless.


This man now works in the Manti Temple, which is the Temple in which me and Alan will be sealed in next year for time and all eternity. He told me the days of the week that he works in the Temple and I told him the day that me and Alan would like to be sealed. He pulled out a pocket calender he had, and we looked it up. It turns out that they do not do that temple work on the day I wanted, but the day after that is very possible, and guess what? He works there that day of the week. There just seems to be a wonderful story unfolding here, and I am so grateful for the church in my life.


Next experience... When I was stationed in Korea, and was not active in the church, but occasionally went to Sunday services I met a man and his wife, who were (you guessed it) from Utah. I found out that he grew up in the town where my Grandparents live now, and upon further discussion, that he knew my family well, and was on the high school football team with two of my Uncles. When I mentioned his name to my Grandfather and Uncles, they recalled him very clearly, and were excited to hear he was doing well. This man was a positive influence in my life, and I spoke with him frequently. I know that he was in Korea for me, to give me a little nudge in the right direction, and for this I will forever be grateful. (*note to self, write e-mail joe on the Do it NOW list...) He provided the first contact with the missionaries for me and Alan together, and really opened the door for me to pursue further involvement within the church.


It took me a while to get to where I am now, and I am far from where I need to be, but constantly moving forward. Alan's conversion story is as much my re-conversion story and we are continuing to grow together, as a family. To feel such a close connection to home while so far away, and to be able to feel such warmth from those people brought into my life is one of the many blessings God has given me, and for that I am so grateful...


Julie

1 comment:

The S Fam said...

Congrats to you and your hubby! That is awesome. And at least he will go to church with you. Mine still won't after 5 years of being together. But that is awesome and I wish u all the best you definately deserve it!!!