Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Keeping Up

Catching Up!!!
Well, when I started this blog in December, I was hoping to do better with it than this. Looks like I have some catching up to do! These events will probably not be in order, so bear with me, and don't worry it doesn't matter if it doesn't make sense...

I went skydiving for my Birthday in February, that was an AWESOME experience! If it wasn't so expensive I would go all the time, Alan and I are thinking about paying to get our licenses so we can jump anytime anywhere for cheap, but that costs a bunch too, we will have to see I guess... here is a picture of me free falling! (I was free falling for about 90 seconds before he pulled the chute!)

Alan was baptised in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (better known as Mormons) on March 15th. It was a wonderful experience, he was baptized in the ocean in front of the La'ie Temple on Oahu. It was such a beautiful peaceful day. The church has brought so many wonderful blessings into our marriage, and I am so grateful that Alan has accepted the gospel. We will be married in the temple next year, and in making that covenant with God our family will be together for all eternity. It took a lot of work for us (yes me too) to get to this point. We both quit drinking at the end of last year, and we both quit smoking as well. It has been since February 18th since we have had a cigarette. Here is pictures from his baptism...
.
After the Baptism with the Missionaries, and our friend Rusty, who baptised Alan
Me and Alan after the baptism... All smiles!

My Mom was able to come to Hawaii for Alan's baptism, it was SO good to have her here, even though it was only for a short time. We went to a Luau, Pearl Harbor, and of course the beach!
.
Me and Mom at the Luau
Our sand covered feet!

On March 1st I got promoted in the Army to the rank of Sergeant (Yes, that is Sergeant Burns!!!). I finally made the NCO corps, just in time to get out. I am getting medically separated from the Army. I suffered injuries during a training exercise that cause significant injuries to my back, injuries that will not allow me to deploy to Iraq, or train, or do any other 'soldier' things. The unit I was in last year, is in Tikrit, Iraq right now. They left a little more than a month after Alan got back from Baghdad. Part of me is sad that I am not with them. While I don't think that anyone 'wants' to go to Iraq, my military family is there, and I feel like I should be with them, just as many of us feel when we are separated from our biological families. God bless them, they are truly heroes.

Now that I am leaving the Army, a whole other world is opened up to me. Well, two worlds I guess, one being that of the military wife (which I already know some, since DUH I am one) and I am so grateful to have been a soldier so that I know the Army and what Alan will be going through. The other world, is the 'civilian' world. I am job hunting right now, and between resume writing, searching jobs, keeping up with my college classes, and trying to transition out of the Army, I am overwhelmed! Job hunting is hard! I am worried that I will not be able to find work right after I separate, and our household taking that large pay cut will be disastrous! The Army is giving me a severance check, and that will hold us over for a while, but I am still worried. I have a few potential jobs right now, and a few prospects are looking good. The Army helps a lot too providing transition services, so that's a plus...

So... it is almost 3 a.m. here, I couldn't sleep but now my eyelids are feeling heavy... Please excuse whatever typo's may appear above, I will have to read through this tomorrow... I will try to keep up on the blogging!

Good night!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Julie:
I am so glad that your life has turned back around, for the past 8 or 9 years that I have known you, you have been a very strong willed women. you have been throught alot and you always seem to make your way to the top. I am proud of you and all that you do. I believe your future golas you two have set will bring you so much happiness, it wont be easy but it will be worth it.
Thanks for visiting our blog, keep us updated with what you two are up to ok.
Kelly