Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Scary Gecko....

So, in Hawaii there are all sorts of animals running around... There are wild chickens running all over the road, I see wild boar/pig things on the access road coming to the base I live on, and various other things that run all over Hawaii, or maybe just in the country part... Anyway, there are these gecko/lizard things that climb all over the house. I see them on my windows, they play on my lanai, and have a good old time running around outside the house. Occasionally one will get inside the house, and I will have to take appropriate measures such as screaming, running around the house in fear, calling for Alan, you know, typical girl-scared-of-the-crawly-thing stuff... Well, when Alan was in Iraq, I would get the neighbors to come get rid of them for me, and since he has been back, there has only been one instance of these scary lizards in our house which Alan took care of immediately. I have always been fortunate enough to not have to deal with them alone, until today.

My gecko encounter came at the worst possible moment. Alan was at work, it was almost two o'clock in the morning, and I was getting ready to shower and go to bed. I had the shower water turned on, and I had just gotten in the shower when I turned around and there, right level with my face, climbing on the clear plastic shower curtain, was the freakish lizard. I SCREAMED, jumped out of the shower, and tried to figure out what to do. I was wet and not dressed, and it was 2 AM. Alan was gone, the neighbors were asleep, and I needed to shower. I tried to come up with an idea to NOT have to catch him, but I had no other choice. So, I got a cup that had a lid, went into the bathroom and was prepared for war. He was still clinging to the shower curtain, so I shook him off of it, and he fell into the bathtub. I hurried and stuck the cup over his body, and pulled him up the side to put the lid on top. I actually managed to transport the scary gecko from the bathroom to the lanai where I set him free, all the while holding the cup as far away from my body as I could.

The whole experience was very traumatic for me, I am actually surprised I made it out alive... I did manage to take a picture of this big scary beast before I set him free, isn't it terrifying??? BLECH, times like this really make me appreciate the men in my life... :D

**Note, I referred to the gecko as he throughout the story. Seeing as I have NO idea how to identify female freaky geckos from male freaky geckos, I assumed that this one was a boy. It would be sad if I was afraid of a girl gecko... :D

2 comments:

Zack and Victoria said...

Hey there Julie!! So I would have done the exact same thing, or I would have just left the house completly and wiated till someone could help!! O and Your hair cut is way cute!!!! Keep it shorter, it looks great!! Tell Katie hi for me. Have fun and keep them freaky male and female geckos away. :o)

RuSty and LaLa said...

Your such a baby! Geckos are good to have around they eat the other bugs like roaches and stuff. You should lay out the red carpet for any creature that eats roaches. I might even write them a song. Its like doing math...I hate it but I'm glad there are people in the world that like it.