Friday, August 8, 2008

Breaking Dawn Disappointment...

So, I finished reading Breaking Dawn yesterday. Overall I was a little disappointed with it. **SPOILER** It seems like after Bella became a vampire she lost her whole Bella "essence", I mean sure some things were obviously going to change (vampire DUH) but it seems like it was a whole new much less interesting character. I don't like the fact that Jacob imprinted on Nessie (weird...), I was very shocked when Bella got pregnant (very weird...) I mean, it seems like Stephenie Meyer was trying too hard to get everything in there and in the right order, get married, then have babies, then live happily every after, it really didn't work so much for me (the girl is only 18...).

So yeah, it was a young adult book, with lots of young readers but it felt like that fact was restricting the story from developing. I was also disappointed with how everything ended up so happily ever after. Everybody got what they wanted, no exceptions. There was no battle at the end, no final stand down, everybody made it out alive (except the snitch, but she was such a fleeting character it was not a big deal). I am just saying a little sacrifice, hard work and suffering would have made it better, THEN the happily ever after. Have the main characters give one final fight to be together, then be happy because they have each other after surviving everything else despite their losses. That is what we have come to expect with the series, and the final book was a let down for me. I do however still LOVE Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse. Wish Breaking Dawn could have kept up.

Anyway, any other readers feel free to share your thoughts, I am interested to know your take on it.

No comments: