Sunday, August 24, 2008

Update

So, here it is. I will be home on the 31st! I am fortunate enough to have the Army to take care of me. Many of you know that I just got out of the service in May. When Soldiers leave the Army it pays for all their household items and vehicle to get back to their home of record, and pays for their plane ticket. While I obviously didn't use mine when I got out, I am within the six month window the Army allotted to use my benefits. So, I take my car to the docks on Thursday, they pack up my house on Friday, and Saturday I am on a plane straight to SLC to arrive Sunday morning, all on the Army's expense. Fabulous. They didn't pay for Foxy (obviously) but the lady booked a flight for me straight from Honolulu to SLC, no layovers, so it would be easier on her. Fabulous again. I am taking her in the cabin with me as a carry on since it is only a six hour flight. (Yes ONLY six, it sure beats the twelve hour flight from Korea!).

So, Sunday morning (the 31st) I fly into SLC and will rent a car at the airport and drive to my mamas home where I will stay for a few days so Foxy is comfortable before I embark on my journey. Then I am going to job hunt, not sure where I will start, probably Utah or Salt Lake County... In about a month my car will be in Los Angeles, so I will have to drop off my rental car at the SLC airport and fly to LA and road trip to Utah. :) I am excited for that, the farthest road trip you can take here is two hours and you will lap the island. :D

All in all things are good. Alan and I are being civil, friends even, and while nobody ever wants to get divorced, I know in my heart that this is right. I have no regrets, and I know that now I am a better person than I was two and a half years ago. I see Alan and I keeping a friendship. It's hard, but I have been through some tough stuff, gotta have the bad times to enjoy the good...

So, here are some random thoughts that didn't seem to fit anywhere in the above post...

In my separation orders, they Army didn't specify my home of record. The guy at the travel office told me that I could have my stuff sent and fly anywhere I wanted. :D I was thinking of taking it down under and going to Australia haha. Wouldn't that be an adventure. :D

Aside from divorce being the reason, I am excited to be able to live in Utah. For the past five years, I have missed 99% of all Thanksgivings, Christmases, Birthdays, Fourth of July's, Weddings, Babies being born, Bridal showers, baby showers, reunions, you name it, I was gone. Well now I can be there for EVERYTHING!!! Just in time to get settled in my house and a job before Thanksgiving! Perfect!

I spent $350 at the Aloha Swap Meet today getting all the stuff I told my self i would get before I left Hawaii, including a Ukulele. Oh yes, I even have a book to learn how to play it. haha. I am a dork I know, but I want to learn! :D

I got my I got my letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs today! (This may not make sense to a lot of you, but bear with me, I don't want to bore you with the details) When I got out of the Army, I filed for compensation from the VA (Dept of Veteran Affairs) for the injuries I sustained while in service. The VA will compensate Veterans monthly for the rest of their lives based on blah blah blah boring.... so, I got my letter, and the VA found me 50% disabled. Sweet. This gives me $799 per month til I die. (I have to go to yearly physicals...) So, I really didn't expect that, but there were several things that each got 10% ratings, and combined, I am half broken. Nice. Kudos to the Army. It's weird though, I don't feel 50% disabled... (yeah yeah insert your smart alec comments here)... Just by looking at me you wouldn't think anything was wrong. That's one of the perks though I guess. The Army has been good to me...

So, that's about it for my ramblings. I hope to see most of you soon, and I am still catching up on email responses. Bear with me. Thanks!!!

Julie

2 comments:

RuSty and LaLa said...

Hey I want to learn the Ukelele too. I keep telling Rusty that. Anywho, too bad I didn't know we could have been practicing together. All that time wasted playong Rock band...we could have really been rocking!

The Barton Bunch said...

Julie, I just want to say that you are such a wonderful spirit and such a strong person. You have such a great outlook on life and I could learn so much from you. Good luck with your new adventure and keep us posted on the move! Also, I am not sure where your mom lives now that she is married, but if she still lives around let me know and we will get lunch or something.